Take the Fast Track™ at America’s #1 Sailing School®
At Steve and Doris Colgate’s Offshore Sailing School our goal is to make sure your time learning to sail, cruise, race, or handle a power boat is not only "amazing" you gain a profound sense of "freedom" too! If you are new to Offshore Sailing School, join more than 150,000 graduates, who enthusiastically endorse Offshore Sailing School’s reputation as America’s #1 Sailing School®. If you already are an Offshore Sailing School graduate, welcome back!
The Greatest Classroom in the World!®
Our Courses and Programs View More
Fast Track to Sailing
A new and exciting program that includes Learn to Sail OSS 101, Coastal Navigation 105 and Small Boat Cruising 101Pro in one week. Limited space. Sign up today!
Learn to Sail
OSS 101 is the ultimate way to embark on a whole new lifestyle. Take the helm of a sleek Colgate 26 sailboat and gain amazing confidence on a 2-day or 5-day learning vacation.
Learn to Cruise
OSS 103/104 gets you ready to see the world under sail. Learn on a beautiful big monohull or catamaran. Live aboard or stay at a gorgeous resort each night on a super learning vacation.
Learn on Catamarans
Get ready for catamaran cruising with OSS 103/104/114 – an in depth charter cruising course on impressive big catamarans.
Flotilla Cruise Vacations
See the world under sail! Our flotilla cruises are for experienced sailors and Offshore grads. Upcoming cruises: Greece, Apostle Islands, Tahiti and Bahamas.
Learn to Race
In OSS 102 you learn go-fast techniques. In OSS 109 you hone your sailing skills in an action-packed performance racing course. Learn racing tactics, then wow your pals in friendly competition back home.
Learn to Power Like a Pro
In OSS 112 you learn to handle a sophisticated power cat with finesse. Gain ultimate confidence while living and learning on a beautiful power cat in Florida or the British Virgin Islands.
Learn Passage Making
In OSS 106 and OSS 108 you learn in an exhilarating blue water sailing school experience. Discover how to safely sail round-the-clock. Achieve skills and confidence for long passages on your own.
Give your team the best time ever with an exhilarating break or focused team building and leadership event under sail.
Our Locations View More
Captiva Island, Florida
Sail where dolphins and manatees play. Come to South Seas Island Resort, a 330-acre island destination surrounded by sandy beaches, bays and the Gulf of Mexico.
Cape Coral Marina Village, Florida
Learn to Sail or get your Catamaran Bareboat Cruising Certification at The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village near Sanibel Island in Southwest Florida.
Scrub Island, British Virgin Islands
Learn to Sail or earn your Bareboat Cruising Certification at the gorgeous Marriott Autograph Scrub Island Resort, Marina & Spa in the British Virgin Islands.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Choose The Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina where every room has amazing views of spectacular Gulf sunsets and sugar-white beaches stretch for miles.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Earn Bareboat Cruising Certification on a Moorings sail or power charter yacht. Learn as you sail from island to island, stopping each night in a different port in paradise.
“It’s obvious Offshore Sailing School puts a lot of effort in selection of instructors. We thoroughly enjoyed the course.”Kyle Couture Family
“In a word – faultless!! It was all a top-notch adventure and we’re keen to do more. We will definitely be back for the live aboard course.“Darlene Forbes
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
“I learned very little at another NYC sailing school. Offshore is the Harvard/Princeton/Yale of sailing schools.”Keith Bloesch
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Colgate’s Offshore Sailing School is truly the best sailing school. Everything is first class, and well worth the money and time spent.”Tom Bisanz
“I’ve sailed for 25 years. Offshore dramatically increased my sailing knowledge. I loved every minute.”Robert Holmes
“I had small boat experience, my wife was a complete novice. We’re now comfortable and excited to charter on our own.”Wyatt Blasingame
“The most amazing week we’ve ever had! Fast Track to Cruising gave us the knowledge and skills to enjoy cruising for the rest of our lives.”Karen and Kevin Marcilliat
“Offshore made it easy to learn! One of the best weeks ever. My dad and I couldn’t have had a more productive and enjoyable adventure.”Mark Waltz
“Everything was above expectations. This is really a top-notch, customer/student oriented business. Great experience!”Blake Bratt
“I attended the Learn to Sail Course with my wife and 3 of our children. We all loved the course.”Jeff Breymaier
“What a fantastic experience! Our Fast Track week was fun and educational from beginning to end.”Todd and Lois Gillenwater
Charleston, West Virginia
“This was our third course with Offshore. The instructors really set Offshore apart from other sailing organizations.”Andrew and Erin Deak
Rocky River, Ohio
“I took the Fast Track to Cruising Course and went from non-sailor to confident cruiser in one week!”Gabriel Emanuelli
“Offshore Sailing School by far exceeded my expectations. Fantastic program Mr. and Mrs. Colgate! I’ll be back for round 2!”Brian Smith
Little Rock, Arizona
“I’ve had sailing courses from other organizations but this is the best set of courses I ever experienced.”Jesse Johnson
“Offshore gave me the confidence and competence to feel comfortable in any situation on the water.”Melinda Long
“We had an amazing 6 days on our live aboard cruising course! We learned so much and had fun at the same time.”Lissa and Eric Uhlenhop
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Amazing course! I’ve done a lot of sailing, and learned a lot during week. My wife went from novice to knowledgeable and reliable.”Robert and Betsy Lahue
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“We are amazed at how much we learned in such a short period of time. We left feeling confident and eager to step aboard again.”Danielle Steinberg
“The instructors were amazing. I learned a lot, had fun, and can’t stop telling everyone how cool this experience was.”Charles Zahalka
Las Vegas, Nevada
Call 888-454-7015 Today to Embark on Your Personal Boating Lifestyle!
Learn to Sail from The Best Teachers in Boating Education
Offshore sailing instructors are caring sailors and mariners with extensive sailing and teaching experience. Their mission is to give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to thoroughly enjoy the sailing lifestyle. The list of Offshore Sailing School awards and accolades is testament to the best sailing instruction, boating programs, and Colgate sailing classes in Florida and the British Virgin Islands. When you learn how to sail, cruise or race at Offshore Sailing School, you learn from the best instructors you’ll find. The boats you learn on in the Offshore Sailing School fleet are carefully chosen and designed for teaching and your sailing comfort.
Click here to see an interview with Steve and Doris Colgate, as they were about to embark on another bareboat cruising adventure. The Colgates want everyone to experience the freedom sailing and boating provides, just as it has done for them over the years. If you get a chance to visit the U.S. Sailboat Show in Annapolis which occurs each year in early October, stop by and have a chat with Steve and Doris. Their enthusiasm for sailing is truly infectious!
The Offshore Advantage at Offshore Sailing School
- Steve Colgate – Offshore Sailing School’s founder, Olympian and America’s Cup sailor, inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2015; celebrated sailing educator who mentors our team and sets the standards for extraordinary sailing and boating education
- Doris Colgate – President and CEO who learned to sail at Offshore Sailing School in 1967; founder of the National Women’s Sailing Association, passionate about providing sailing lessons and sailing and boating opportunities for all
- Our Graduates – More than 150,000 who have learned to sail and go boating during the more than 55 years Offshore has provided award-winning, sailing lessons and instruction programs
- Our Faculty – Highly experienced and professional instructors and managers who care about you; certified by US Sailing and licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard with years of sailing and boating experience
- Our Courses – The greatest variety and depth of hands-on sailing lessons and boating lessons (OSS 101-OSS 114)
- Our Textbooks – Comprehensive, complementing our impressive learn to sail course curricula and advanced sailing courses curricula; written by the Colgates, and US Sailing and US Powerboating National Faculty
- Our Sail and Power Fleet – Learn how to sail, learn how to cruise, become a great racing sailor, or take the helm of a power cruiser, all excellent teaching platforms designed for safety, comfort, and performance
- Our Course Certifications – US Sailing and Power Courses providing US Sailing and Power Certification at all levels from the U.S. governing body of sailing, appointed by Congress, recognized by charter companies throughout the world
- Our Locations – Offshore’s sailing schools and power schools are located in some of the best places to learn sailing and power boat handling; at great resort-based adventure vacation locations that provide beautiful sailing and boating conditions, allowing you to immerse yourself in a rewarding learning vacation
- And Our Graduate Sailing Adventures – Colgate Sailing Adventures® Flotilla Cruises led by knowledgeable experts; sailing in worldwide destinations to tempt you on every vacation you plan; open to all who love to sail and go boating!
“The biggest mistake of my sailing career was taking my Basic Keelboat Course in the New York City area with another school and not Offshore. We learned very little with the other school. Bottom line is that from my experience Offshore rocks and is the Harvard, Princeton, Yale of sailing schools.”
read testimonials here
Our Sailing School Guarantee
After you complete a Colgate course offering at Offshore Sailing School, if the sailing instruction you received was not up to your expectations, let us know right away and we will arrange to give you the same course over again, tuition free.